[pct-l] risk reduction on swift water crossings

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 24 15:53:24 CST 2009

Len wrote:

When I got to Bear Creek in the latter part of last June, I was
surprised to find that it had a rope strung across.  It made the
crossing a lot easier.

Don't know about the source of that rope, but to be clear, a rope strung
across a river that you hold on to with your hands is not inherently
dangerous and can certainly be useful (though of course you can't set that
up yourself when you need it).  The thing you want to avoid is being tied in
to a rope that will continue to hold you even if you lose your footing,
because the only place you're going in that situation is straight down as
the water crashes over you.

Eric