[pct-l] risk reduction on swift water crossings

David Plotnikoff david at emeraldlake.com
Tue Nov 24 03:37:59 CST 2009

Hello from a longtime list-lurker.

Folks, I hesitate to broach this subject because I haven't had cause
to use the technique myself, but .... in theory at least, it's
possible to safely self-belay across fast water by carrying a short
(>20m) stretch of climbing rope, plus a belay device and a locking
biner. Run the rope around a stout tree on the bank you're starting
from, double through the ATC, which is attached by the locker to your
pack's hip belt, and have at it, facing upstream and crab-walking
sideways. One hand on a hiking pole, the other on your self-belay
brake hand. Safe on the other side, unclip the ATC and pull the
doubled rope across after you.

Sounds clear in theory. Like I said ... being the fair-season PCT
type, I haven't had to do it myself. But it's something to think
about for those of you who are intent on leaving KM early. Does it
sound like a lot of extra weight to carry? Weigh ALL the variables
carefully. If you're far ahead of the pack and the melt, you're on
your own. Waiting for another hiker or two to facilitate a safer
crossing will probably not be practical. Going commando with no
protection and nobody else around may well be suicidal at places such
as Rock, Wallace or Bear creeks. So this might be a reasonable weight
addition for aggressive early season folks to consider. Be sure to
practice the mechanics BEFORE your trip ...

Best,

DP

www.emeraldlake.com/pctguide/