[pct-l] Starting Date

J J at Ridge Trail jj at ridgetrailhiker.com
Mon Nov 23 23:31:27 CST 2009

"Do yourself a favor, get some experience before you go."

And have some fun doing it. I had never been a mountain climber. And planned a hike in 2004. So, in 2003, I took an introductory mountaineering class from Shasta Mountain Guides. I picked them, mostly because they have a good reputation and at that time I had never been on Mount Shasta. I had a great time. Too good of a time. I was in playland, as I saw it. But I knew it was important. And took the class again. And then I climbed the mountain in June 2003. What a grand experience.

Ned's kind offer of free mountaineering training was not around in 2003, or if it were, I did not know it. Humble suggestion: do it right. Get some training. Have some fun doing it. If you live in California, you have great options: Ned in Tahoe, Yosemite, Shasta. Probably others.

Walk well,
Jim Keener ( J J )

jj at ridgetrailhiker.com
http://ridgetrailhiker.com