[pct-l] Purpose of a PCT FAQ

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 21 11:20:01 CST 2009

It'll still taste the same unfortunately.  But the season after I tried the corn elbows I started buying quinoa instead.  It has some corn in it, and cooks and tastes pretty much the same as the original corn stuff, but the nutritional value is even better.  I think Mr. Jardine raved about it because it packs a lot of energy and good stuff that's hard to maintain thru long hiking days.  I found this to be true when I experimented with it.  I don't care all that much for it, and while I like the ease and eatability of mashed potatoes or coos coos with tuna or something like that far better, I did come up with a couple soups and things to make the corn or quinoa palatable.  I don't know that it warrants basing a summer's trail diet on it.  I can only deal with it every couple days, and didn't even bring any on my hikes this last season.  That said, I did take along some prepackaged freeze dried meals (first time in years) to test that out against the theory that there isn't much in those packages but stuffing.  I sure missed the energy packed into a pot of quinoa.  A friend that hiked with me a for a couple seasons in the Sierra thought my soups were pretty good, but by then I was pretty tired of the stuff.  But not tired of being shot up the trail as opposed to feeling drained and lacking energy.  But good ol' Ray's book sure does make it sound like a person could and maybe should plan on eating this stuff almost every day all summer long, and it's a long summer.