[pct-l] Alpenstocks and Self-Arrest Poles

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 21 09:42:20 CST 2009

Just looked up some reviews on this and it sounds like it would work better than a stick, or pole, but not a real axe.  Not marketed as such, but there are folks using them just in case.  I think I'd opt for saving weight somewhere else and carry a real tool.  The attachment point of the head and the carbon shaft looks weak to me.  And one comment said the user bent it, which sounds like it is not a serious tool.  It sure doesn't look serious.