[pct-l] Alpenstocks and Self-Arrest Poles

Denis Stanton denisstanton at mac.com
Thu Nov 19 20:58:33 CST 2009

The words "stout stick" are important here.  I can report from experience acquired while descending the north side of Forester in 2008 in an out-of-control glissade that planting a lightweight hike pole firmly into the snow between my knees had no effect at all on my speed of descent.  The lower third of the pole simply vanished and I continued downhill at the same speed as before clutching the shortened pole.
Fortunately he large rocks further down the slope were much more effective at slowing me down.

Denis Stanton