[pct-l] The foolish things hikers do on Mt. Whitney

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Thu Nov 19 14:41:11 CST 2009

As ABat,
DUMB  LUCK???........I  RESENT  THAT!!!
It was not dumb luck,.....it was precise execution of a superior
strategy by an older and wiser  "Sierra Wise"  backpacker.

Speaking of dumb luck,......you surviving your out of control slide down
the ice chute on Mt. Whitney using a broom instead of an ice ax, and
then hanging on to dear life by your pack straps, was certainly more the
result of dumb luck than precise planing.

I wonder what Ned"s opinion is on using a broom for arrest purposes?

Although, I must compliment you on your choice of pack.....the external
frame with sturdy shoulder straps.....for had you been carrying a flimsy
UL internal frame, the shoulder straps, for sure, would have ripped out
and you would not have survived the ensuing crash.....that broom would
not have arrested you, no matter how hard you tried.

There probably would be a  "Head Stone"  now at the crash site with the
following inscription:
R I P...AsABat
Here rests a brave but foolish backpacker, who foolishly substituted a
broom for the ice ax.

With this my friends, I will now sign off and retreat back to my roots
to do what I do best, devote my time to explore the wilderness, rather
than talk about the wilderness.
Hope to see you all on the trail someday.....until then  "Happy  Trails"

JMT Reinhold
Your hopelessly in love with the " JMT " trail companion