[pct-l] The foolish things hikers do on Mt. Whitney

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Nov 18 00:16:51 CST 2009

AsABat,
That was a foolish thing for you to do....glissading down an ice chute
on Mt. Whitney using a broom for an ice ax and then hanging on, to dear
life, by your pack straps.

Did you learn that trick from Ned?

Older and wiser backpackers like Switchback and I don't do those
things.....we know better.
Those are nice pictures of Whitney and the "The Throne".
I liked the "Throne" better before they heightened the walls....the view
was just spectacular.
I used to spend hours sitting on the "Throne" admiring the view and
pretending to be King Arthur, King of the mountain, sitting on my  "Throne".
Say, do you have any pictures of you hanging on to dear life by your
pack straps?

I remember the night I got caught in the hut, during a white-out, on the
eve of one of my JMT fast-packs and I could not find my way back to the
hut after I stepped out of the hut to see if I could make out the trail.
So there I was, in a white-out, in the middle of the night, on top of
Mt. Whitney, with my tent, sleeping bag, and gear in the hut and I cant
find the hut.......this could have been disaster.
Well, anyhow, because of my superior wisdom, after criss-crossing the
summit half a dozen times, I finally found my way back to the
hut......saved by my superior wisdom.

I also remember another night on top of Mt. Whitney on one of my JMT
fast-packs, when, what seemed like a minor storm, turned into a violent
thunder storm causing me to abandon the hut and seek refuge in a cave
like crevice 100 - 200 feet from the hut .......boy, that thunder was loud.
My reasoning was,  for sure the lightning would strike the metal roof
and the lightning rods before it would strike me, huddled in the cave.
Again, because of my superior wisdom, I made the right decision and was
saved again by my superior wisdom.

Yes,....it pays to be older and wiser like Switchback and I.

JMT Reinhold
Your older and wiser trail companion

AsABat wrote:

[pct-l] Most popular backpacker toilet in the world*AsABat* AsABat at
4Jeffrey.Net
<mailto:pct-l%40backcountry.net?Subject=%5Bpct-l%5D%20Most%20popular%20backpacker%20toilet%20in%20the%20world&In-Reply-To=5712D7B8E4C744A8B64F2D1AD55004D1%40Ada>
/Fri Nov 13 16:50:24 CST 2009/