[pct-l] Cali's economy: Food price

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Nov 17 17:11:02 CST 2009

On Nov 17, 2009, at 12:34 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> How are food prices out west these days?  I've heard, in general,
> that food
> is more expensive there than it is here in the southeast US, but with
> California's waning economy, will the cost of a thru-hike increase
> by much?
>
> Ryan

Considering that you'll probably buy more food than you need (due to
packaging), buy from expensive country stores, mail some of your
food, throw out some of your food and be so hungry you don't care how
much it costs, I wouldn't worry too much about a small difference
between prices in California vs. the SE US.

I think everything costs more in California. But I do recall hiking
the Khumbu in Nepal in 1999 that it cost $7 for a can of Coke in
Lobuche. So things could be worse...

Diane