[pct-l] Move onb up the trail

jomike at cot.net jomike at cot.net
Tue Nov 17 13:37:09 CST 2009

Hay gang
?
I am thinking about retirement.? If I do, I want to move out of Los Angeles and settle?somewhere in middle California?or the lower half or Oregon.? I want to settle somewhere near the trail and?major highways, as hiking will become an even bigger part of my life than it is now. I'm looking for a mid-size town with a fairly liberal atmosphere, not too expensive, mild climate (don't want to be snowed-in during the winter).? Anyone have some?suggestions on towns to look at?? I've been in this cubical for far too long.? Oh, to be a wondering.
?
Shepard

Goodness, you are requesting nirvana! I can name some locations that fit many of your desires but none that fit all your requirements. Ashland, OR, I'd strongly suggest but they do get snow. Nothing like in the higher mountains but you cannot say they are snow free. Yreka, meets some of your requirements but is definitely a conservative community. Mt. Shasta, CA, would be my one number one pick: liberal, but does get snow, right beside I-5, about three accesses to the PCT within 30 minute drive (or less) and more within an hour, and is not too expensive (cheaper than in central and southern CA).

are we there yet