[pct-l] Beef jerky

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Nov 17 08:42:18 CST 2009

On Nov 17, 2009, at 6:29 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
>  Still, you are what you eat and I'd surely feel better and perform
> better--both on the trail and not--when eating good-quality food.

I felt that way too. Until I was mobbed by mosquitoes in Oregon (in
July) and could not live without a headnet on all the time, and then
moved on to Washington where it rained all day and I could not stop
to rest and prepare a meal. I switched to a diet of mostly candy,
cookies and crackers. Whatever I could eat by stuffing little pieces
up my headnet or grab from a pocket to eat while walking in the rain.
Nothing that had to be eaten with a spoon or mixed up.

The only prepared food I ate was a hot dinner each night. Cookies for
breakfast, cookies for snack, king-sized bags of candy for lunch,
maybe if I was on a health kick, I'd eat an energy bar, but I don't
buy it for a minute that those are much better than candy.

Somehow I did well, hiked 25 to 30 miles a day. And I'm an old lady,
too, not a young buck. I did my best to fill up on healthy food in
town and drink an Emergenc-C or two each day.

Diane