[pct-l] Beef Jerky Recipe

eckert jape1 at cox.net
Sat Nov 14 21:27:59 CST 2009

I had the following tucked away on an old hard drive from the late
90's.  None of the four recipes are difficult, so it would be easy to
try a couple to see what you think.  You can also modify the basic
ingredients to taste.  For example, I like a /lot /of garlic.

eckert

*Jerky*

Jerky is the name given to raw meat that has been sliced thin, seasoned,
and dried.  It is eaten dried and will not reconstitute when water is
added.  Home-dried jerky is far superior to commercial jerky and usually
costs from $2 to $3 per pound compared to $12 to $18 per pound for
commercial jerky.  Four pounds of lean, fresh meat will make about 1
pound of jerky.  Jerky was a staple in the diet of the pioneers and is
still a popular food for camping and backpacking, and is a nutritional
snack for everyone.

*Types of Meats to use for Jerky*

Any /lean/ meat will make good jerky, but some cuts are better than
others.  Rump roasts, sirloin tip roasts, the round, and the brisket all
make excellent jerky.  Flank steak is so good that it has earned the
reputation of being the "filet mignon" of jerky.  Watch the meat
specials in the store and try to get the best value.

It is also possible to use less expensive cuts of meat such as chuck
roasts; but with the higher fat content, there is less jerky per pound
of meat, and the jerky will not keep as long without freezing or
refrigeration.  Fully cooked boneless ham may also be made into jerky,
but must be stored in the freezer or refrigerator if you plan to keep it
for more than a week or two.

*Preparation for drying*

 Cut the meat across the grain in slices about 3/16 inch thick. (I
prefer to slice it a little thinner, 1/8" or so). The butcher will
frequently cut the meat for you without additional charge.  If you slice
it yourself, partially freezing it makes it easier to slice evenly.

   Remove excess fat.

   Marinate the sliced meat in one of the following recipes overnight in
the refrigerator in a lightly covered container.

* *

*      Drying*

   Jerky should be dried at a temperature of 140º to 160ºF. to prevent
bacterial growth.  (I dry my jerky in a toaster oven with the door
propped open 1"-2").

   Dry the jerky in single layers until a piece cracks but does not
break in pieces when you bend it.

   As it dries, blot it with paper towels to remove any excess beads of
oil that may collect on the top

   Cut the jerky into smaller pieces with kitchen scissors and remove
any visible fat.

        Let it cool and store it in an airtight container

*Marinade recipes*

*Spicy*

**

*Teriyaki*