[pct-l] distressing info about section d

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 6 09:38:48 CST 2009

Every time I read about how a forest will "bounce back" I cringe.  Like the rest you, I have hiked through many a burned zone years after the fire.  All I see, even ten+ years past, is a carpet of chaparral in a garden of silent and dead tree trunks.  Section D is my back yard and the playground where I first stumbled upon the PCT.  The magnitude of this tragedy depresses me deeply.  I fear that I may be too old to enjoy it by the time it "bounces back".  I don't believe that we were in any way responsible for this fire.  We have had a hand in other fires, last year's Apache fire, the Tahachapi fire a few years ago and others.  So P -L - E - A - S - E be careful with your alcohol stoves, matches and cigarettes when you are out there.  Accidents can happen, but the consequences are so very grave.

Shepard