[pct-l] Influence of El Nino for 2010?

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Thu Nov 5 14:34:26 CST 2009

Carey Russell wrote:
> I'm currently preparing for a thru-hike of the PCT for the summer of
>  2010 and am curious if others are discussing the potential affects
> of El Nino weather patters for 2010.  I'm only marginally familiar
> with this cyclical pattern, but my understanding is that the western
> U.S. should be receiving   increased precipitation including extra
> snow in the Sierras.  Because of this, my concern is that the high
> sierras may not be passable until much later in the hiking season.
> Any thoughts or experiences from previous El Nino years on the PCT?

Look on Trail Journals for the journals of Rolling Thunder and Elevator
who both hiked through the Sierra early in the 2006 season with heavier
than normal snowpack.

A lot depends on how fast the snow melts.

I have not hiked that section of the trail, but I suspect that those who
have will tell you

1) Don't listen to the nay sayers.
2) Go for it.
3) Know your limitations
4) Don't be afraid to turn back or bail out if you get in over your head.
5) The stream crossings will be the worst part of that section of the
trail in a heavy snow year.