[pct-l] Where to start?

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Thu Nov 5 12:21:25 CST 2009

Laura,

This is really a personal choice decision that you need to make yourself.  If you are interested, for whatever personal reason you may have, in completing a single-season thru-hike than theoretically the only way to accomplish this is start again from the border.  If your goal is to hike the entire PCT and a single-season thru-hike is not an important, it would seem that you do not need to re-walk the section between Campo and Auga Dulce.

The definition of a thru-hike seems to have taken on multiple definitions over the past few years.  For some a thru-hike is an end-to-end or hike and for others it is more a definition of the lifestyle of a long distance hike.  You will need to identify for yourself what it is that you want to accomplish and what you will be satistified with.

Heck, if I had the entire season open to hike next year, I personally would choose to start from the border.  Those first 454 miles to Auga Dulce are quite beautiful in their own way and I would definitely enjoy hiking those miles again.  But, that's just me.

Enjoy the process of coming to this decision about what will bring you satisfaction.

Elevator