[pct-l] Chaffing Skin in the Desert

Josh 559josh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 19:47:08 CDT 2009

Pat,
Some great points!  I recently hiked-around in the desert for the first time
other than the little day-hikes I've done in the past.  If there's any of
you out there who haven't experienced desert hiking, Pat hits things on the
head!  It's really amazing how dry the air really is.  Most of us know how
dry the air can be while hiking at high elevations and near summits, but
most of the time this is only for brief periods and then you descend where
the air has higher humidity.  But hiking in the desert is much like an
extended hike at these high elevations.  The lack of humidity can REALLY dry
out your skin as well as your airway & it can dehydrate you from the
inside-out relatively quickly.  I'd admonish anyone who hasn't done a hike
in the desert to take the advice of the experienced desert hikers when the
suggest a higher water intake!

Some kind of lotion/sunscreen, chap stick, electrolytes, and extra water
container(s) would be advisable if you're not carrying them for other
sections of your journey.

Just a little advice based on my recent experience.
Josh