[pct-l] Newbie question

Wes Rose wb104475 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 31 15:01:21 CDT 2009

Hi Adam,

I use a Steripen and a Katadyn filter and do almost all my hiking in So Cal.  I have come to rely
upon my "collapsible water bucket" and recommend that you consider this as an essential part of
your gear.  It allows me to collect water from nearly any potable water source and weighs only a
few ounces.   The benefits:
1.  fast water collection in locations where collection is difficult.
2.  keeps my filter cleaner as it's not in the dirt (creek bottom), but in the bucket.
3.  more water volume for other uses, like washing, cooking, etc.
4.  easy distribution of the water in my containers, filter or steripen for purification.

Best success on your hike.

Wes

Adam Ruff acruff01 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 10:56:58 CDT 2009

For the southern portion of the trail (Campo to Kennedy Meadows)
I have a 100 oz res. but it isn't big mouth and to save weight I'm
using Cl tablets.  However, what I'm worried about is that most of
the springs in the south need a pump in order to pull the water from
them and that my technique here in KY of just dropping the res. in
the stream is not an option.  Can someone help me confirm this and
whether there is another option besides buying a pump.