[pct-l] Scissors to HWY 74 report

Christopher Kopp christopher.kopp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 00:15:38 CDT 2009

I hiked from Scissors Crossing to HWY 74 this weekend.  I'll leave out
comments on water as I have submitted them to Asabat.
I took the once a week bus from San Diego to Scissors on Friday afternoon
and arrived at the Trail at 4:55 PM.  Not many people on the bus so
hopefully MTS will keep this route going but with cuts coming we'll see.
The flowers were really good from Scissors to Warner Springs and then tailed
off some when the elevation increased.  Trail conditions were pretty good
through that section but the trail was a bit overgrown through parts of the
San Felipe Hills but was easy to follow.
Warner Springs to Lost Valley Spring was pretty nice trail with some great
views of the golden fields that I walked through the day before between
Barrel Spring and WS.
For 3 or 4 miles past Lost Valley Spring some asshole drove a dirt bike on
the trail causing considerable damage that is going to be exacerbated the
next time it rains.  There were a couple of down trees along that stretch
that didn't even detour the jerk.
The trail was fairly overgrown in areas past Chihuahua Valley Rd with some
of the ravines below Mt Combs having lots of ticks.  I got pretty scraped up
going through here.
>From Tule Cr. on to HWY 74 the trail was in good shape with only the
occasional catclaw acacia reaching out and tairing my shirt.
All in all the trail was in pretty good shape except for the bike damage.

Spider Woman, if you read this, it was nice meeting you and good luck!