[pct-l] Sleeping in a Hammock

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Tue Mar 24 20:31:23 CDT 2009

> Anyone did the PCT with a hammock?

Quite a few have...  Most notable that I recall were Roni from Israel and the "Ewoks" (they "lived in the trees" so their group trailname came from those Star Wars characters)...

Here is an old post from Roni, which he has repeated once in a while:
<http://www.backcountry.net/arch/pct/0403/msg00694.html>...

I would suggest an underquilt for the cold nights on the PCT ('might' not need it in NorCal or southern OR)...  JacksRBetter underquilts are designed for the Hennessey Hammocks...

Also be prepared to "go to ground" with a light groundcloth and 3/4 or torso length pad (which can be used to 'boost' a lighter weight underquilt, too)...
If you plan your daily mileage ahead of time to suit hanging, you shouldn't have to go to ground too many times...
One can also 'scout' the PCT on Google Earth looking for likely hanging spots, just be aware that the USFS trace is a little off in some places...  You can get the USFS trace for GE at <http://www.fs.fed.us/pct/>...

Good luck.  Happy trails!!!
Jim / PITA