[pct-l] enough with the chicken thread

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Tue Mar 24 06:01:12 CDT 2009

David I am deeply touched & honored that you appreciate and embrace my "Chickens on a leash"
concept and that you decided to join the "Switchback & Reinhold" comedy team with your
hilariously funny "Goats for protein" concept to bring some comedy to a tense "herd".
The "herd", suffering from "Barn Fever" and anxious to break out of the barn and stampede down
the PCT, gets very edgy & tense as the KO nears.
All that tension is not good for them and your contributing humor provides much needed stress
relief to the "herd".

BTW David, just in case you did not notice there is a big improvement in my most recent
"Chickens on a leash" concept vs the one I first published in 2006
The 2006 version required restocking chickens at trail towns.
My current version eliminates the need of restocking chickens by including a rooster to insure
reproduction so the hikers do not run out of chickens before reaching Canada.

JMT Reinhold
------------------------------

David wrote:
Hello from a longtime list lurker.

I was disappointed to see one of our campfire circle's notorious
jokers bring up the walking chicken thread again. I suppose there are
newcomers every season who haven't tired of it.

Everyone who is anyone on the PCT knows that this is a sad, worn-out
joke and the only serious way to get walking protein (as opposed to
protein you have to carry) is goats. (Carolyn Eddy, forgive me. I
will burn in hell, I know.).........

 Use a pack goat from Campo to KM. EAT a pack goat from KM to Kearsarge. Pick up a second
goat once you clear Sonora Pass. No fuss. No problem. (Unless you're
the goat.) Anyone who's familiar with California's taqueria scene
probably knows a half-dozen recipes for birria and cabrito. I prefer
mine beer-braised in a Dutch oven over very low heat for six hours.
Others say spit-roasting (al pastor style) is the only way to go........