[pct-l] Oregon sections A & B

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 20 22:35:22 CDT 2009

>I started out my PCT section hike with exactly those two sections. As Oregon residents...

I started my section-hiking with CA-O (whence I made a strategic withdrawal a couple of miles south of Grizzly Peak).  After regrouping, I hiked OR-G in September.  I'm planning to hike OR-A in late June.

>However, after reading The Guidebook I felt the same sense of dread.

I, too, share some of this dread, but more from that first 4000-ft. pitch.

>There is a reason many call it The Book of Lies.

One of the most conspicuous lies I've found so far is that there seem to be quite a few perfectly good spots to camp that aren't mentioned in the book.  PCT hikers have been quite resourceful at carving out little spots here and there along the trail.

>I think that part of the reason it gets a bad rap is that in
comparison to sections like the Sierras or the High Cascades, it's more
ho-hum...

Heck, isn't pretty much EVERYTHING ho-hum when compared to that?  Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but still....  Besides, there are some really cool plants in the Siskiyous.

>PS - If you need transportation help getting to and from the section, email me!  If I'm not out hiking, I'll try to help. I live in Eugene and know the challenges of getting to the border.

I have a few friends who are interested in going, but if they have to bail, then I'm definitely going to need shuttle assistance.  I can compensate you ceramically. :-)

-Nathan Miller
Newberg, OR