[pct-l] Everything I need?

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Fri Mar 20 21:14:41 CDT 2009

I admit I am a map addict, but IMO you do need something more than just
the data book. Hikers have gotten lost even in just the first 20 miles!
The trail down into Hauser Canyon where it leaves the dirt road is a
common error, even though it is (at least was) signed, as plodding down
the dirt road looking at the view hikers have walked right past it, then
wondered what happened when they hit a series of dirt road junctions at
the bottom. A topo map will tell you what the terrain looks like in the
area.

As to the water report, it is designed to be used WITH the guidebook. I
don't repeat everything in the guidebook as to how to find the water as
the guidebook usually does that in a fine (and copyrighted) way. What
directions I have to water are to supplement those in cases where people
have reported difficulty finding the water once on site, or who to find
water that is NOT in the guidebook. When I'm on the trail I copy it onto
my guidebook maps before I head out for the day.

AsABAt

> I can only speak about the first 150 miles of the trail, but I would
say
> you don't NEED any of them. The trail is well marked. Too well in some
> areas.
>
> You SHOULD have maps, and there are probably times when you do NEED
> them. I would not hike without them.
>
> The easiest way to determine where you are on the trail is with the
Data