[pct-l] Penny Pinching Gear (Bags)

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 20 18:16:25 CDT 2009

I'll take a very small exception to what Ned said about the back yard test.  Sleeping out in the back yard, IF it's a really cold night, say lower 20's, can be a really good acid test of your sleep system for the trail.  Set up with what you're going to bring on the trail - shelter, pad, bag, clothes, hat, etc. and nothing else.  You'll find out really quick if your system is adequate, plus have an easy out if it's not.  It can be done - especially if you're from anywhere in the country where you can get these temperatures in the winter.  Obviously, Florida isn't the place to do this, but it works in Seattle.  :-)

As far as bag temp ratings - yeah, everyone is highly individualized on that.  I found a 30 degree bag adequate (I used a several year old Marmot Arroyo for my entire thru) since I also would use my down vest and wind shirt, and long johns to sleep in for the extra cold nights.  I'd tested this very system in the back yard on a 23 degree night a couple of months before heading out on the trail and found it (barely) adequate for me - I wasn't cold, but I wasn't toasty warm either - kind of in that never never land in between. Basically, I found the lower comfort limit of my system.  I also found the Gossamar gear egg crate roll up pad to be plenty warm and comfortable for a thru hike.

As far as penny pinching goes:  The bag is one place to NOT go cheap.  There is a direct correlation between price and quality for down equipment.  A 600 fill bag will be heavy and bulky (for a given temp rating) compared to a 800 or 900 fill bag.  Get the absolute best you can afford.  It'll last you for years with proper care, will be lighter and smaller in the pack and will probably keep you warmer at night than a cheaper bag.  Do it right the first time.

Oh yeah - I'll second what Stephen said:  Camp selection can  have a HUGE impact.  The coldest night I had in 06 -  I made the mistake of setting up in a bowl a couple of days out of Wrightwood.  I ended up in a 'pool' of cold air that was at least 5 to 10 degrees colder than just a 100' vertical feet higher (when I hiked out of that freezing bowl in the moring, up into the warmer air above, I was kicking myself for my poor camp selection).  Also, if you anticipate it being a cold night - set up your shelter - don't cowboy camp.  I can feel the rush of cool air when I unzip the netting on my tarp tent Virga in the morning (if it's been a still night).  That extra degree or two can make a difference.  If it's a windy night, the shelter will reduce the chilling effect of a breeze, even if the air temp inside is the same as outside.  Your shelter will also keep your bag from getting wet from dew.

YMMV, HYOH, yadda, yadda, yadda, blah, blah, blah......

TC

Oh yeah - Class of '09.  Enjoy the hike - you're going to LOVE it out there.

Keep in mind, the bag may work fine in your back yard, but on the cold, hard
ground or snow where you're going to be for months on end, the pad may let a
lot of heat out, also. It's a combination deal.

Mtnned

From: "Stephen" <reddirt2 at earthlink.net>

Camp site selection will also help a lot along the way.