[pct-l] vegetarians/vegans

Vincent Rupp vincent.rupp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 23:11:54 CDT 2009

I'm planning a vegetarian thru-hike this year. I'm not always 100% strict,
but it's so much easier than dealing with how to bring meat along.
The only issue seems to be adequate protein, but it's not too hard to get.
Here are my favorites:
Soy Jerky: 14g per package (1.65 oz). This is really tasty stuff, and lower
in saturated fat, sodium, and cost than beef jerky (which I also love). I
read a thru-hiker's blog online about it (sorry, don't remember who) and
ended up ordering about 12 lbs from Lumen Soy
Foods.<http://www.soybean.com> It's
great as a snack or cut up and thrown in with pretty much any dinner.

Powerbar Protein: 23g per bar. These aren't great, but they're okay, and
they're very satisfying to eat. They are pricey relative to a normal Clif
Bar or a Snickers, but grocery stores have 3/$5 sales pretty often.

Clif Bar: 10g per bar (I'm looking at Oatmeal Raisin Walnut - the best
flavor). 99cents at Trader Joe's and one of the best things I ever eat when
hiking-hungry.

Dairy, grains, legumes, and nuts all have some protein. The Complete
Backpacking Handbook says if you get any two of those in order (Dairy +
Grain = Mac & Cheese, Grain + Legume = Rice & Beans, Legume + Nuts =
Peanut/Cashew Mix), you get a complete protein. Soy is a complete protein by
itself.

I'm not sure how much I actually need a day, but my resupply boxes will each
get me over 60g. Resupplies in town may take a bit more work, but I'm not
planning to resupply at many gas stations (just the one).

With a couple tasty supplements, it doesn't seem too hard. I've also found
soy protein powder combines really well with powdered milk for cocoa or
oatmeal (that might have been a tip from someone on this list, but yum!
either way). Ground or powdered beans sound like a great idea too.