[pct-l] Oregon sections A & B

Suzannah Swinehart suz_quz at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 19 22:51:19 CDT 2009

Hi Susan,

I started out my PCT section hike with exactly those two sections. As Oregon residents our
first PCT goal is to hike all of this state, then proceed onto the rest of the
trail...and it just made sense to start at (well, very near) the border.
However, after reading The Guidebook I felt the same sense of dread.

There is a reason many call it The Book of Lies. While there are many
unprotected segments in that stretch, which means logging or other unsavory
hiking conditions, in general I thought the scenery was beautiful and unlike a
lot of other Oregon
hiking I had done. I think that part of the reason it gets a bad rap is that in
comparison to sections like the Sierras or the High Cascades, it's more
ho-hum...but I am so glad that we ignored the bad press of the guidebook. I
loved hiking this section and wouldn't miss it! I can share pictures if it
takes more convincing :)

-Chipmunk

PS - If you need transportation help getting to and from the section, email me!
If I'm not out hiking, I'll try to help. I live in Eugene and know the challenges of getting to
the border.