[pct-l] section A & B in oregon

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Thu Mar 19 21:59:38 CDT 2009

Section A in Oregon is really Section R in Calif, and I think it's the only
PCT section that has two names.  I first hiked R in 1976, when it was only a
trail from SV to Reeves Ranch. Then it was roads all the way to Mt Ashland.
I've since hiked it back and forth about 4 times along the trail. The views
are great, you spend your time up high in meadows, ridgelines, and forests,
and will see almost no one. It's an easy stretch, except for the climb up to
the Red Buttes from SV. Take the time to hike up on Observation Peak. You
can see all the way to Crater Lake to the north, and all the way to Mt
Lassen to the south. This viewpoint covers almost 500 miles of the PCT
trail. The unusual plants are interesting and plentiful. There's a marble
outcrop along the south ridge of Red Butte that has very interesting endemic
plants you won't see anywhere else along the trail. I haven't hiked Section
B-Or yet, and have plans to hike it over MemDay2009. If you have Google
Earth, download the PCT.kmz file and explore the sections.