[pct-l] The Whippet's convertibility, final answer

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Thu Mar 19 15:05:45 CDT 2009

OK.  I stand corrected:

The Black Diamond Whippet no longer has a removable head. The ones we use
were given to us back in 2006 when the heads were removable.

I just got off the phone with the manufacturer and here is what three
different folks said:

--people just weren't removing the head, so they are now "pinning" it in
place,
--it is not UIAA certified as an ice climbing tool, similar to an ice axe,
as it does not have the strength as a belay anchor,
--the "Canard Wing" on the side of the head is for grabbing more snow when
the pick is thrust into the pack.

It is still the most handy self-arrest tool we, as snow-hikers, have ever
used (short of the older, Ramer version) as it is always in hand. It is too
bad that it no longer can be converted to a hiking pole when the head is not
needed....
http://www.bdel.com/gear/fl_whippet.php

However, for another $40.00 Life Link carries the old Ramer version which
can be connected to a ski pole lower and does about the same thing. Costs
more compared to the BD Whippet, but you still have the ability to convert
to a hiking pole by exchanging the upper shaft and head assemblies.
http://www.backcountry.com/store/LIF0133/Life-Link-Guide-Claw-Pole-Grip.html
http://www.backcountry.com/store/LIF0130/Life-Link-Guide-Ski-Probe-Pole.html