[pct-l] getting water from the aquaduct

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Mar 19 13:00:21 CDT 2009

On Mar 19, 2009, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> getting water from the aquaduct
Couple months ago someone posted somebody's trail journal with
pictures from back in the 70s. They would get water from the aqueduct
by lifting the concrete lids and climbing down on steel pegs with the
water flowing under the concrete, inky black and not instant enough
death should you slip and fall in. The picture shown scared the
bejesus out of me. I would never do that.

They've since locked all the access points and you can no longer get
water from the aqueduct except from the faucet they've nicely
provided for us hikers. Takes much time to fill up your cook pot,
filter the water, fill up your pot again, filter, etc until you've
got enough to continue to Tylerhorse, or beyond if there's no water
there.