[pct-l] Waterproof Socks

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Mar 18 10:02:22 CDT 2009

Good morning, Brad,

I’ve used SealSkinz quite a bit, but only for training hikes here in the
damp Pacific NW where I’m not too concerned about weight.  I agree with
Steady’s assessment.  I always keep them in mind when gearing-up for the
Sierras or for possible late-season rain and/or slush in Washington, but so
far they haven’t made the cut.  Mine weigh 4.7 oz. per pair, which is not
ruinously heavy, but still more than I want for the value added.

 I’m not a fan of any Gore-Tex type product for extended hiking, but I was
pleasantly surprised at how well they work.  That’s mostly because my
expectations were so low.  Over many hours my feet get quite damp, probably
due more to sweat than to leaking, but they are warmer in spite of that.  I
don’t wear other socks inside of them because my shoes don’t have sufficient
room for the additional layer(s). I have never tried to step in water that
was deep trying to rely upon the claimed sealing function at their tops.  If
I did, my expectations of success would be really low.

On one pair I’ve worn through the inner liner at the ball of my foot, and
now I have the quirky feel of duct tape against my bare feet.  It seems to
work OK.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09