[pct-l] visiting LA 4/24-4/27

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Mar 18 09:04:16 CDT 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 5:45 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> From: Linda Jagger <lindajagger at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] visiting LA 4/24-4/27

You might contact the Outings person from the LA Chapter of the
Sierra Club and see what they recommend. They will be very familiar
with the local conditions.

There are some real nice hikes you can do in the Santa Monica
mountains with great views of the ocean and Channel Islands. I did
one not too long ago up to Baldy and the views were amazing. I could
see the islands plus all the mountains around my hometown Santa
Barbara and Ojai, plus the mountains in the immediate area. The view
was surprisingly empty of city, too, even being so close to such a
large city. In April the flowers ought to be blooming, too. There's a
trail called the Backbone trail that became the centerpiece of a book
called Flowers of the Backbone trail, the best wildflower book I've
ever seen. It's a very long trail you can backpack for several days
or else day hike, but from what I understand, there may be a
significant amount of dirt road walking if you don't pick the right
section.

Good luck and enjoy your stay.