[pct-l] newbie questions

Adam Ruff acruff01 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 10:56:58 CDT 2009

Long time listener, first time poster...

I'm planning on launching out of Campo around April 20th and am
wondering about a couple of things.  I've done mostly 3-5 day trips
and know that I am biting off a whole lot more with the PCT, so I've
been training by hikiing with my pack barefoot on the street for 3
miles and then on trails for mini 2 day outings of 30-40 miles, trying
to give all my gear a test run, but the main conditions that I can't
simulate are snow pack and desert (shocking I know).

So, I'm hoping that someone here could help me with a couple of
questions:

1)  For the southern portion of the trail (Campo to Kennedy Meadows) I
have a 100 oz res. but it isn't big mouth and to save weight I'm using
Cl tablets.  However, what I'm worried about is that most of the
springs in the south need a pump in order to pull the water from them
and that my technique here in KY of just dropping the res. in the
stream is not an option.  Can someone help me confirm this and whether
there is another option besides buying a pump.

2)  For the Sierra section of the trail.  Are trekking poles enough or
should I bring my ice axe?  I plan on hiking in trail runners (which
have worked marvelously so far) but the box doesn't even think to say
"don't cross snowfields in these" so I'm wondering if I need to trade
out shoes at KM.  Thoughts on this and if i'm going to trade out
shoes, any recs?

3)  I have only purchased the PCT Data Book.  Do I need to buy the
other three books as well, or is this sufficient?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

Regards,

Adam (having not done the trail I don't think I am allowed to assign
myself a nickname)