[pct-l] Items lost on the PCT

Ikem Freeman ikem.freeman at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 16 02:10:44 CDT 2009

I did loose a few things on the PCT in '08. First major item was a sandal .... I had it strapped on the to back of my pack, and I think I lost it while running trying to catch up to other hikers! Big mistake.

Several other hikers later reported, "Oh, was that your sandal ... I saw it there by the trail at Rodriguez Spur Truck Road!" I threw the other sandal away in Julian ... I wasn't going to carry just one sandal! By the way, if anyone sees this sandal, please take it to the nearest trash can for me.

My favorite hat and I parted ways near a Robin Bird Spring in S. California. Ended up slack-packing about 1.5 miles back to my last rest stop, but my hat wasn't there. Ended up back at the spring, and sure enough, there it was, right where I put it down. Lesson learned ... don't just ask, but go look for yourself. There were two other hikers at the spring, and I asked them if my hat was laying around there. They said no, but after the 3 mile round trip back to my last rest stop, I decided to look for myself at the spring, and I was reunited!

I also lost a tent stake, but I got that back, too. Some other hikers heard that I had lost it, and sure enough, it was waiting for me at Walker Pass Campgound near Lake Isabella. I couldn't believe it.

Then there's one more thing I lost on the PCT, and I have a pretty good idea where it's at, but I've decided NOT to go back for it! I lost 50 pounds! And I can't wait to get back on the trail again ... winter has a way of letting the pounds creep back on! I keep telling myself that its OK ... just storing up the calories that I'll burn as soon as I'm back on the PCT!

Happy trails everyone.

O. Ikem Sofar