[pct-l] sandals on the trail

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Mar 15 16:19:48 CDT 2009

Good afternoon, Gretel,

I agree entirely with Freebird's summary of sandal use.  I have several
pairs of different manufactures and I really enjoy using them on the trail,
but I only wear them for local training hikes.  I haven’t quite gotten past
the concern about potential toe damage, but then maybe I’m more clumsy than
most.  One other problem – at least for me – is I let myself get bothered by
pieces of dirt and trash that get under my feet, with or without socks.  The
worst offenders are those sharp little fir cone scales.  I can’t seem to get
them out by just shaking; I have to stop, take off the sandal and pick them
out.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye