[pct-l] Parental Aspects of Hiking

Vincent Rupp vincent.rupp at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 12:32:11 CDT 2009

I disagree; I think making up facts can be very helpful.

For example, did you know...
...that more people have died of yeti maulings on Mt. Everest than for all
causes combined on Mt. Whitney?
...that 0% of all 2006 thru-hikers were incarcerated the same year?
...that life insurance actuaries apply a 0.5 adjustment to standard
mortality for long-distance hikers?

Surely that helped put a smile or a look of perplexion on your face!

For more fictitious facts about hobos and actuaries, I recommend John
Hodgman's book, *The Areas of my Expertise.* It will help you part with ten
dollars and entertain everyone you read it to.