[pct-l] Feet toughening

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Mar 13 07:40:55 CDT 2009

Good morning, Brad,

The technique of using alcohol to toughen and ease one’s feet may possibly
have originated with, and was certainly promoted by, the esteemed Colin
Fletcher in his late ‘60s book, *The Complete Walker*.  He advocated
carrying a bottle of alcohol for use in rubbing the feet periodically during
a hiking day.

Having read Colin’s praise of the alcohol treatment I seriously tried it on
several hikes because he was a thoughtful and experienced individual
whose recommendations I am inclined to respect -- if not always follow.  My
feet always felt good after I applied the alcohol, particularly on a hot
day, but as it turned out I did not find doing so offered any advantage that
compensated for the extra weight and the time associated with its
application.  I thought then that merely removing the shoes and socks for an
air-dry, or a swoosh in a creek, was equally as rewarding.

Nowadays, after many days on the trail I begin to experience dry cracking of
the skin around the outside of my heels.  My impression is that I should not
be applying anything that further dries the skin.

In deference to Colin I suggest any should hiker try it:  It’s cheap, easy,
it feels good, and it probably has few downsides.  Also, on the long trail,
anything that improves foot hygiene should be worth a try.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye