[pct-l] South PCT Trail Head

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Thu Mar 12 22:26:10 CDT 2009

eckert wrote:
> Amanda L Silvestri wrote:
>> I spoke to the permit office in Bishop this morning. I was inquiring about entering near Reds Meadow. They recommended entering at something called the South PCT Trail Head. I did not have my maps with me, as I was at work (don't tell) so I just accepted it. When I got home and looked at my guide book and the Tom Harrison and NFS maps, I was unable to find anything so marked. Could they have meant either Crater Mdw or Upper Crater Mdw? The office wase closed by the time I got home and I have not had the opportunity to call them back. Does anyone know this Trail Head?
>>
>> Shepherd
>>

> take a look at this page, at A15.  It could be what they were referring to.
>
> http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/otheravail.shtml

May I recommend that you start at Red Cones?
We use this trailhead most years to access the PCT in either direction.
You park at Horseshoe Lake, at the end of Lake Mary Road.  There is a
very large paved trailhead parking lot there, and a bathroom, and water
faucets, and a lake to bathe in if you are so inclined when you come off
the trail.  From here you can hike north or south on the trail.  There
are multiple routes to the trail, all of them interesting.
If you are coming in on public transit to Mammoth, there is a free
shuttle in the summer months from the town center to the parking area at
the lake.
Scarcely anyone uses this trailhead for starting overnight treks, so the
quota rarely fills up.  We commonly drive up from home in SoCal, stop at
the ranger station, pick up a permit and start our hike that day.  No
fussing with reservations.
Marion