[pct-l] water Sections A& B

LumberJack themtgoat at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 12 02:23:06 CDT 2009

One thing you may find useful, is figuring out how much water you use.

Before I did the thru hike, I was used to water every mile or so in the Sierra. In A, and B sections, the can be considerable distance. I did a pre-hike with Snickers in 2004, and figured out what I needed for cool, mild and hot weather. Your numbers WILL differ.

This might give you and idea, but it was nice just to carry that water you needed for the temperature range you are in... don't forget to add a fudge factor, like an extra quart, incase your off.

Mountain Goats:
Hot weather -85-100F about 3 miles, above 100F? are you kidding?
Warm weather - 5 miles to a quart. (65-85F)
In cool  (40-65F) weather, I could go 10 miles on a quart. Most people will probably use  more than a quart per 10 miles, FYI

Claudia
    iclaudius1 at verizon.net

    Tue Mar 10 19:51:44 CDT 2009
We've hiked lots of sections of the PCT but never sections A & B southern most.  Do we really need to carry tons of water or are the caches pretty reliable?  Hansel and Gretel