[pct-l] Water Caches

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Tue Mar 10 23:28:57 CDT 2009

There are I think 13 caches listed on the water reports in So Cal (plus
2 on Hat Creek Rim). All but 2 of these are well known caches that are
almost trail legend. The other 2 appeared in so many of my emails last
year I added them. Each year I try to contact the water cachers to see
if they will be stocked again, and if it is ok to post them. If they
were not posted on the water reports, they would still be known to
virtually everyone.

That does NOT mean there will be water there when you arrive. As
mentioned, those that count on caches and therefore only carry a quart
or two will either use a lot of the cached water or will go very thirsty
if the cache was emptied by those ahead who also relied on the cache.
Beyond that, some hikers with allergies to dirt have been known to use
caches for bathing, international visitors on nonexistent visas may grab
several gallons apiece after their tour guides abandon them, dirtbaggers
have been known to slash them just to make your life difficult, etc.

So, even if listed, treat it as trail magic if there's water, and don't
be upset if there's not. The one time I actually planned on getting
water from a cache, having been personally assured it would be stocked
just for me, it was empty. Thankfully, I was carrying enough water to
get me to the next source 15 miles away, although an extra liter sure
would have made that hike a lot nicer.

I no longer list exactly how many gallons are at a cache, both because
it will change in an hour and to reduce reliance. I remember being told
a trail angle was serving lunch at a road crossing up the trail. They
were gone when I got there. I sure missed out, but then again I didn't
miss anything I was counting on.

Speaking of water reports, send them to water AT 4jeffrey DOT net. While
we've had some rain down here, it's not as much as we need, and with the
dry dirt I suspect seasonal stream beds may be more bed than stream.

AsABat