[pct-l] water Sections A& B

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Tue Mar 10 19:58:27 CDT 2009

Not many reports of what the water looks like yet, but my guess would be
the seasonal source will dry quickly if they aren't already dry.

My opinion is to NEVER rely on caches. In spite of the wonderful water
cache volunteers best efforts, a heat wave coupled with a large number
of hikers can quickly deplete a cache. Some have arrived at caches out
of water only to find the cache was wiped out the day before. I look at
caches as a pick-me-up, a little extra water if it's there. Others,
including some friends who do caches, will disagree, saying they try to
keep everyone in water so they don't have to carry so much. The question
I ask is, if you are out of water and the cache is empty, what will you
do?

There are ways to minimize water carrying in the desert. Cooking where
there is water rather than at a dry camp helps. Sleeping under a bush in
the day and hiking in the morning and evening hours is a big help. (I
got used to my midday nap too quickly, and still miss them.) A big
ventilated hat with a full brim, and loose white long sleeve shirts keep
the sun off. Don't forget electrolytes.

AsABat
PCT Water Reports for So Cal http://pct.4jeffrey.net