[pct-l] How much cash to carry for a thru-hike

moodyjj at comcast.net moodyjj at comcast.net
Tue Mar 10 19:38:49 CDT 2009

My experience is from the AT only; haven't started the PCT yet.  I took a credit card, debit card, and some cash.  I tried to use the cc whenever possible, to stretch the cash.  I think I started with $40 or $50 and put about $40 in every mail drop.  Post offices will give you back up to about $50 in cash if you use a debit card to pay for postage.

How much you need depends on how often you plan on staying in hostels or motels, shopping for groceries vs. using food drops, and eating in restaurants (also how much draft beer you drink).  You ought to make sure you always have a few bucks to pay gas for shuttlers or Trail Angels, too.

Mango