[pct-l] Journey Steri Pen

Charles W. Davidson chaseat99 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 15:06:49 CDT 2009

Hi Gang's (cross posted)
    I recently purchased the Journey Steri pen. I like the fact that it
only weighs 1.1 ounce more than the Aquamaria that I usually carry with
me and seldom use. Mostly I just drink the water here on the east coast
with no problems. Ponds, outlets and rivers I treat. I really hate to
see someone putting one of those nasty filter pumps into the spring that
I plan to drink out of. This is mostly the common practice on the AT.
Seems like they are introducing every germ that the filter has picked up
along the way....
    My Journey steripen wouldn't work first night out. I have only used
it testing maybe 6 liters and 3 pints. I didn't carry extra batteries
cause I was only out for 4 days and it is supposed to do approx 50 L on
a set of batteries. First night it was 14* low. These lithium batteries
are not supposed to be affected by cold. I played with it the second
night with a low of 34* and it would only come on a few seconds and
would not even go to the pint setting of two button pushes. The third
night at Fulhardt Knob shelter with the cistern and green water I really
needed it. It would come on long enough to light the bulb then go out. I
ended up boiling water to drink. So i was thinking maybe I just got some
old batteries even though at home before my trip they indicated good.
Today at Linda's I tried it and it works fine, battery says full charge
smiley face. Now I plan to carry extra batteries and I plan to vacuum
pack a few iodine tablets for emergency backup. I want to test it again
in cold weather hmmm no ill put it in the freezer for a test tonight. I
dunno just wanted to relate this to you. If its faulty I need to find
out and send it back quickly....
    After being in the freezer compartment overnight the device would
not work this morning. I put new warm batteries into the cold device and
it still would not work. Today it will not even work at 70* room
temperature. The UV light only stays lit for about one second. Ok so I
guess I got a bad one. Good thing Nitro-Pak has a 120 day return and
Steri pen has a lifetime guarantee.....on something
     I have seen these device discussed a few times and thought I would
share my experience. I am still undecided on getting a replacement or
going with the old style thats twice as heavy but maybe bug free. I like
getting purified water in 90 seconds per liter but its got to work every
time LOL

chase PCT 09