[pct-l] backpack drawing

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 14:30:38 CST 2009

I'm entering this conversation a bit late I think, been off-line for over a
week, but..., back in the 70's,
I was part of our local B.S. Council's (San Francisco Bay Area) High
Adventure Team.
I taught personal equipment for a backpacking awareness training course
every year.
One of the tools I used and handed out was a drawing of a backpack, pockets,
tool loops, etc.
I advised that my 'students' list everything they planned to carry in each
pocket, etc...on top of
each pocket and divided section in the body of the pack in the drawing...In
Pencil...
because they'd change their minds several times before they got it right.
Once they did get
everything packed in a system that worked for them, memorize it...so they
could find anything
they needed, in the dark if necessary.
I also recommended that everyone take and pass at least a basic first aid
class from the Red Cross.
Back then, at least, we were awarded a patch, a red cross on a white field.
I suggested that the
patch be sewn on the pocket that held their personal first aid kit.  That
way, if they were ever
injured, even if they were unconscious, someone coming across them would see
almost instantly
where to find their first aid kit.  In my kit, I carried a list of the meds
I took, as well as a list of the
meds in my case, ie, pain killers, antibiotics, etc, my blood type and my
I.D., including names and
phone numbers of who to contact in an emergency.  I still have that drawing
somewhere...in fact,
I think I have two.  One is for three season camping and the other is for
winter, when hikers needs
on the trail change pretty radically compared to other times of the year.
After each course I'd hear back from trainees,which were made up of
Scoutmasters, Assistants
and JASM's (Jr Ass't Scoutmasters) that those drawings were probably among
the most important
tools they received at the weekend-long training.
Anyone visiting The Hideaway at Old Station can see my old Jansport hanging
in our garage, with
the first aid patch on the lower, left-hand pocket.
Happy Trails....  See you at Trail Fest...and Kick-Off....
FireFly