[pct-l] Emergency helicopter signalling

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Mar 5 11:46:39 CST 2009

Something to add:

I learned from a local gear store guy called "Gizmo" who came and did a presentation at a school assembly when I was in middle school way back in '71 that if you're lost in the wilderness and believe that air crews will ultimately come looking for you, DO NOT try to follow a stream or river to what you think will be civilization.  Along bodies of water is where the trees grow, blocking you from rescuer view.  Also, there is likely to be cliffs and drop-offs along any stream body in the mountains.  Streams and rivers don't necessarily take you to civilization, and can take you farther into the wilderness.  Bear Grylls is always doing this the wrong way and it drives me crazy because it's the absolute worst advice for the average Joe who is not an expert survivalist or climber.  It's a different story if you're out there and have reason to believe that no one is going to be looking for you and you have to get yourself out.

The thing to do is get to an EXPOSED PLACE, AS HIGH UP AS IS SAFE, and signal from there. Don't move around to different locations.  Back in '71 he recommended signaling with Mylar space blankets (which were very new in those days!) which are very light, reflective, and can be life saving in cold situations. Inexpensive, too.

I often wonder if this bit of information might have saved John Donovan.

L-Rod

p.s.  Gizmo handed out a diagram showing what should go into a backpack, sparking my very first awareness and interest in backpacking.  He made a lifelong impression on me.