[pct-l] maps

Ikem Freeman ikem.freeman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 23:39:01 CST 2009

Easy,

It wasn't my intent to hike without PCT maps ... I had all three guide books
when I left Florida. I carried them all the way to california, and in a
hurry as I was shipping my bike and gear back to Oregon, the three guide
books got shipped home by accident.

I had Yogi's book for most of the way, and I did buy Eric the Black's PCT
Atlas from the author when he gave me a ride to Big Bear.

But in reallity, there are so many other hikers that I could always look at
a map when I really needed to.

There were only three times that I recall when I didn't know for sure which
was the right way. First time was just before Houser Creek. I took the first
trail down to the creek, but should had stayed on the road and taken the
second trail down. After about 200 yards and a dead end (another hike
followed me down!), we both hiked back to the road and we were back on the
trail.

The second time was just past Big Bear Lake. The PCT takes a 180 degree turn
to the right at a junction, while a new trail continues straight. I think I
went about 1/2 a mile in the wrong direction, thinking I was still on the
PCT. I pulled out my PCT Atlas and realized my error.

The last time was just past Ashland. There was a fork in the trial and no
sign. I went to the right, and after about 1/2 mile, the trail just ended. I
back-tracked to the fork, and this time, taking the other trail, came upon a
marker after about 50 yards.

You may think it was irresponsible, but with so many other hikers, all
carrying maps, I felt safe enough without one.

Happy Trails.

O. Ikem Sofar