[pct-l] maps

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Mar 4 15:58:00 CST 2009

Good morning, Emily,

You can easily rely upon the Guidebook maps – thousands of PCT hikers have,
including me.  The fold-out PCTA maps are very nice, but I haven’t used them
for navigating so I can pass on the advisability of using them alone.  I do
know that they are a bit heavy.  I prefer to use HalfMile’s maps from:
http://www.pctmap.net/index.html for the trail up past Crater Lake.  They
are based upon the USGS 7.5-Minute Series Maps but are in PDF files that can
be easily printed with a standard home printer.

Using full size USGS 7.5-Minute Series prints is a poor option.  They do not
prominently show the PCT, they are not current in the routing they do show,
they are not annotated with any PCT related information, and they do not
show any GPS waypoints.  Besides that, the entire trail would require over
300 sheets, possibly as many as 400, and the price has just increased to
US$8. per sheet.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye