[pct-l] maps

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Wed Mar 4 12:30:10 CST 2009

I also never feel comfortable hiking without maps. I think it's because I am
a visual person. Words and numbers just don't make as much sense to me as a
well-laid out image.

That's why I created the Pacific Crest Trail Atlas, which includes full
color annotated topographic maps, elevation profiles, town maps, and
basically everything you need to navigate the PCT in a series of small,
pocket-size, easy to read booklets.

www.pctatlas.com

Volumes 1 and 2 (SoCal and Central Cal) are already at the printer and will
begin shipping the first week of April. Volumes 3, 4, and 5 will be shipping
in early June and I'll be sending them to thru-hikers on the trail as soon
as they are available.

Over 150 of this year's thru hikers have already pre ordered the Atlas and
now that spring is getting closer it's starting to pick up even more. I'm
afraid that at this rate my initial print run of 300 copies will be sold out
before the Kickoff.

But as of now there are still spots available. So if you would like to get a
copy for yourself head on over the www.pctatlas.com and pre order.

You can also download a free chapter on my website.

Erik The Black
Author & Publisher
Pacific Crest Trail Atlas
www.pctatlas.com

After reading Yogi's book and talking with past thru hikers I was convinced
that the maps in the guidebooks would be sufficient and I wouldn't need to
buy any other maps. But the more I think about it, the more I'd like to have
proper maps. I like to have some perspective while I am hiking and feel most
comfortable with a map. I noticed the PCTA has a map series, with a few
missing it looks like but my question is: has anyone else or is anyone else
bringing maps besides the guidebooks? Or should I just get over it and just
rely on the guidebook maps? THANKS!
Emily