[pct-l] Nervous about first thru hike

Ikem Freeman ikem.freeman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 00:03:22 CST 2009

Lindsey,

I had a wonderful helper by the name of Martha (Class of 09) from Adventure
16 near San Diego help me a great deal. I almost died hiking the 20 miles to
Lake Morena on my first day. Everything I had was wrong! Don't get me wrong,
it was great gear when it was new back in the mid-70's! and it's still OK
for weekend trips.

With Martha's help, we examed EVERY SINGLE ITEM in my pack, and got rid of
most of it. I was so desparte to get light that I even bought new underwear!

For example, I sent home my GPS, my knife (kept my spoon and my fork, but I
didn't need a knife), my long pants (I hiked everyday in shorts), and at
least 20 lbs of other stuff. I couldn't believe what a difference it made
for me. For a lot of the trip, I didn't even have my own map. I was often
able to convince SoBo hikers to let me have the map they were carrying that
they had already hiked, and in turn, I'd later give it to someone else
hiking SoBo (recycling at its best!).

If you leave home without something that you later decide that it would
really make a difference, then you can always send for it or buy a new one.
Take for example my head net ... worth it weight in pure gold! I think I
paid about $3 for at Lake Laguna or maybe Wrightwood ... can't remember for
sure.

Others have said to get in shape before you start on the trail. I rode my
bicycle from Florida to California, in part to get in shape for the PCT 08
hike, but it really did little to prepare me for walking 2,000+ miles! It
was a completely different muscle group, and while it might have helped me
with endurance, for me, the only thing that really gets you prepared for the
PCT is the PCT!

NOTE TO MARTHA: (if you are reading this), thanks again for all you did to
help me get the right gear, and good luck to you as you prepare for this
year's hike. If you make it to Sisters, Oregon before I head out in early
July, look me up and I'll buy you dinner!

O. (Oscar) Ikem Sofar