[pct-l] Base Weight Calculation

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Tue Mar 3 21:53:26 CST 2009

Vincent Rupp wrote:
> Hi everyone, This might be a rather foolish question, but how exactly
> does one compute his base weight?

You are making this more complicated than it needs to be. Have you
noticed that we weigh each piece of gear to the tenth of an ounce, then
give our base weights rounded to the nearest pound? That is because we
work hard to shave every ounce, but once we are out on the trail, it
makes little difference what the actual number is.

Assume a warm day with clear skies. What are you normally wearing?
Unless you want to know "skin out" weight, or "true base" weight, as
Ikem calls it, add up the weight of all of your gear minus the clothes
you normally wear while hiking. Or add the clothes you normally wear.
Nobody really cares.

I never weighed my pack. I had a pretty good idea, but I didn't want to
know.