[pct-l] Nervous about first thru hike

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Tue Mar 3 17:23:15 CST 2009

Lindsey Anderson wrote:
> Hi!  I have a little experience in the back country but still feel
> very novice.  I am going to walk the PCT in April and was wondering
> if previous thru hikers have any tips or small info of which I may
> not already have knowledge.  Pack list?  Re supply along the way or
> mail drops?

This from my own experience:

Get in the best shape you can before you start out.

This given to me by Rolling Thunder before I started last year:

There is nobody in a bulldozer scooping up the trail behind you. Take
your time.

This from somebody's journal (I don't remember the source):

1) Have fun every day.
2) Be flexible.
3) The trail always wins, so accept it.
4) The adventure is in the uncertainty.
5) Don't go home until you reach Canada.