[pct-l] whitney permit

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Tue Mar 3 11:15:13 CST 2009

> I remember someone saying that no thru hikers need a whitney permit since
> there is an alternate route to the top. Is this true? Or should I get a
> permit? Thanks!
> Emily

This has long been a 'confusing' issue...

Depends on what agency (and perhaps what specific person) you communicate with...

Per Seki and PCTA communications, one does NOT need a Whitney Permit if climbing
Whitney from the West - i.e., hiking the JMT from the PCT... Your "Thru-Permit" from
the PCTA is a valid substitute for a Seki wilderness permit...
The Whitney Permit is intended for the "Whitney Zone" on Inyo NF lands East of Trail
Crest towards Whitney Portal - the intent being to limit the number of "day-hikers"
climbing Whitney...
The PCTA is trying to clarify the issue with Inyo NF, since some Inyo NF personnel have
said the Permit is required no matter what approach to Whitney is used...

<http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/whitney.htm>
<http://www.pcta.org//planning/before_trip/permits.asp>
<http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/mtwhitney>

For a keepsake, if you can afford the $15, get the Whitney Permit stamp on your Thru-Permit
for your scrapbook or such...

Enjoy the journey! Happy trails!!!
Jim / PITA